Other sources of help

If there is no Law Centre where you live or your Law Centre is not able to assist, you might still get help with your problem. Here are some sources of information and advice.

Some people with a legal problem look for legal advice, others try to solve things on their own.

Help comes in many ways: here are some that could help you.

Legal aid

Legal aid is a government programme that helps you with the cost of getting help from a lawyer. You can get legal aid if you can show that you cannot afford a lawyer and that your problem is serious.

Most Law Centres work with legal aid. If you have a local Law Centre, they will check whether you can get legal aid.

If you do not have a local Law Centre, the Legal Aid Agency can check whether you can get legal aid, and help you find a lawyer that works with legal aid.

Call their helpline, Civil Legal Advice, on 0345 345 4 345 (open Monday-Friday 9am-8pm, Saturday 9am-12:30pm)

or find a legal aid lawyer yourself at https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice.

General advice

If you can't legal aid you can try searching for advice through:


Find an adviser if you are having problems with benefits, work, money, housing and more. If you are in London, you can use this Guided Pathway.  


Network of legal clinics providing free initial legal advice in various areas of social welfare law including housing, employment, debt, benefits and consumer disputes.

You can also try one of the sources of help further below.

I have a problem with...



Consumer Service 

Operated by Citizens Advice for general consumer issues, as well as complaints about energy companies and the postal service: 0808 223 1133. 


National Debtline  

Free confidential and independent advice by the Money Advice Trust on how to deal with debt problems. 0808 808 4000.  Webchat and Digital Advice Tool also available.  



Debt advice charity that offers a free and confidential telephone helpline: 0800 138 1111 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm) or Get debt help online. Online tool to help manage bills and spending.  


Debt Advice Foundation 

Charity offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone worried about debt: 0800 622 6151. 


Children and Education

Coram Children's Legal Centre

CCLC is a national charity that promotes children's rights and provides advice on related matters: child and family, education, social services and community care, immigration, asylum and nationality as well as resources for children and young people. 

Clinical negligence

Action Against Medical Accidents

AvMA is a charity for patient safety and justice and advises people who are affected by medical accidents: 0345 123 2352.

Home and landlord

Shelter  National charity giving advice on housing and homelessness.  

Free emergency helpline if you are homeless, have nowhere to stay tonight, are worried about losing your home in the next two months or at risk of harm or abuse: England: 0808 800 4444 or visit Shelter Scotland or Shelter Cymru. 

Partner abusing me

It might be possible to get legal aid if you have evidence that you or your children have been victims of domestic abuse or violence and you cannot afford to pay legal costs. 

National Domestic Abuse Helpline 

Free 24-hour helpline that gives support, help and information: 0808 2000 247  

 FLOWS (Finding Legal Options for Women Survivors)  

Legal support service helping protect women against domestic abuse. Telephone: 0203 745 7707 / Email: flows@rcjadvice.org.uk / Online form   

Rights of Women 

Free, confidential legal advice for women in England and Wales on issues including domestic violence and abuse. Check website for advice line telephone numbers. 

Separating from my partner

From April 2013 legal aid is no longer available for most family law cases (except family mediation and if you or your family are at risk of abuse or serious harm e.g., domestic violence or forced marriage). This makes it much more difficult to find free advice on these matters.  

Rights of Women   

Free, confidential legal advice and information for women in England and Wales on issues including divorce, arrangements for children, cohabitation, lesbian parenting, domestic violence and abuse. Check website for advice line telephone numbers. 


Support with my disability

Disability Law Service  

Free legal advice on employment / discrimination at work and welfare benefits to disabled people and their carers both by telephone and in writing. Telephone: 0207 791 9800, e-mail addresses included on this page. Separate advice line for community care and housing enquiries exclusively for those who are not eligible for legal aid (more information here). 

Disability Justice Project

Run by Inclusion London, this website aims to help deaf or disabled people to use the law to fight for their rights - especially against disability discrimination.

Being treated equally

Legal aid is available for discrimination cases if you pass the merits and eligibility criteria.   

Civil Legal Advice (CLA) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) / Find a legal aid adviser (justice.gov.uk) 

Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS)   

Information about your rights and options regarding equality and discrimination matters. EASS is not able to give legal advice.

Work and your boss

From April 2013 legal aid is no longer available for employment law, except in cases involving discrimination. This makes it much more difficult to find free advice on these matters. 

ACAS - the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service   

Detailed information and guidance on various workplace and employment issues. Confidential and impartial helpline: 0300 123 1100. 

Working Families   

Legal helpline for parents and their advisers on employment rights and benefits: 0300 012 0312.

Staying in the UK

Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association   

Search for an immigration advisor near you (including the option to search for legal aid / free advice providers).  

Migrant Help

Independent non-legal advice and guidance to assist asylum seekers in the UK. Free asylum helpline (in several languages): 0808 8010 503. 

Rights of Women

Free, confidential immigration advice for women in England and Wales.

Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) 

Independent charity providing free advice 

  • If you are in the UK without status and need legal advice, call the Freephone helpline on 0800 160 1004. It is open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 1pm.The helpline is confidential and the advice is free.

  • In detention or in prison: 020 7251 8708. 


Free legal advice to migrants and refugees: 020 7749 7608 or 020 7749 7605.

Here for Good  

Free advice on EUSS, Ukraine and Afghanistan schemes. 


Free information, advice and support in different languages to EU citizens in the UK.

I'm in prison

The Howard League 

Help finding a solicitor specialising in prison law. Free and confidential helpline for young people, including those in prison: 0808 801 0308. 

Prisoners Advice Service 

Information and representation to prisoners about their rights and conditions: 020 7253 3323. Freephone advice for women prisoners: 0800 024 6205.

Managing your problem without a lawyer

Here are some links to resources and organisations that might be able to help if you want or have to try solving your problem by yourself. Please note these resources were not prepared by Law Centres Network and we are not responsible for their contents. 


Guides and videos with diverse information which aims to help you make sense of the law and your rights. 

Money Helper 

Information on money, work and family problems.  

Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants(JCWI) 

Online toolkits and guides about coming and staying in the UK. 


Information if you are having problems with your home or don’t have where to stay.

Free representation at Court or a Tribunal


Help to find free legal help from barristers if you cannot afford to pay and cannot access legal aid. 

Free Representation Unit (FRU) 

Representation in employment and social security hearings. 

 Going to court or tribunal without a lawyer 

Attending a hearing online

Click here to view a selection of Supporting Online Justice videos

Complaining about a service

Legal Ombudsman 

LeO is a free service that has the power to resolve complaints about lawyers. 

Financial Ombudsman Service 

FOS settles complaints about banks, insurers and other financial services.

The Law Centre Network logo

About this site

  • Privacy
  • Cookies
  • Accessibility

Contact us

If you have any questions about the Law Centres Network and the work we do we would really like to hear from you.

You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, or LinkedIn.

Law Centre® is a registered Trade Mark of the Law Centres Federation. Law Centres Network is a business name of the Law Centres Federation, a charity registered in England and Wales no. 1088588 and a company limited by guarantee no. 2433492. Registered office address: 1 Lady Hale Gate, Gray’s Inn, London WC1X 8BS.

Designed by Multitudes