A housing solicitor and visiting professor at London South Bank University was stunned to learn that she had won the Law Centres Network’s Lifetime Achievement Award.
Professor Sara Chandler QC (Hons) was presented with the award at the South London Law Society's annual dinner on 16th November by Pamela Robotham, Senior Solicitor and Manager at Cambridge House Law Centre.
Commending Sara’s work, Pamela said:
“Sara has been an activist, friend and champion of the Law Centres movement for over 35 years. She was a pioneer in welfare law and was one of the first people to represent a client in the Tribunal, thus helping to develop welfare law and housing law practice. Her work to promote access to justice both in the UK and abroad has been recognised recently by making her a professor at the College of Law and then London South Bank University, and recently also an Honorary QC.
“Sara’s other great love is access to justice, nationally and internationally. This has led to her involvement in legal aid campaigns and pro bono legal projects for the past ten years. She was instrumental in setting up the Colombian Caravana, which promotes justice and the rule of law in Colombia. She is a recognised world leader on this topic and has been invited to speak and represent the UK at conferences, Law Societies and other international conferences.”
Sara Chandler commented:
“I was thrilled to win this award. I know so many people who work on without pay or in the face of lack of funding, like the staff of Central London Law Centre, where I am a trustee. It is an honour to be a member of the Law Centres movement and I will continue to do what I can for as long as I can. In receiving this award I hope it will remind people that we can all help our Law Centres to survive.”
For further information please contact:
- Pamela Judge, Law Centres Network Communications Manager, tel. 01239 711041
- Professor Sara Chandler, mobile 07817463460
- Pamela Robotham, Senior Solicitor and Manager, Cambridge House Law Centre. Tel. 0207 358 7025, mobile 07904 305720
Notes for editors:
- Professor Sara Chandler is a housing solicitor specialising in landlord and tenant law. She works in London South Bank University's Legal Advice Clinic, which provides free advice to members of the public in areas of social welfare law; housing, employment, social security and debt. Sara and other staff supervise student volunteers who help members of the public with research and advice.
- This year Sara was awarded the title of Honorary Queen’s Counsel (QC) by the Lord Chancellor for her work on pro bono advice and human rights.
- Sara previously worked in Law Centres (1982 to 1992, and again 1998 to 2003) and legal aid firms (Glazer Delmar 1993 to 1995, and HCL Hanne & Co 1995 to 1998). From 1974 to 1980 she worked as a bilingual social worker with refugees from Chile, and qualified as a social worker at South Bank Polytechnic (1980 to 1982).
- Sara was the senior Supervising Solicitor at the College of Law, Store Street's legal Advice Centre from 2003 to 2005, becoming the College’s Director of Pro Bono (2005 to 2008). In 2008 she became an Associate Professor and in 2010, a Professor of Clinical legal Education. She left the College of Law in 2012 to join London South Bank University.
- Pamela Robotham is Senior Solicitor and Manager at Cambridge House Law Centre, part of the Cambridge House settlement of 1 Addington Square, London SE5 0HF.
- The Colombian Caravana UK Lawyers Group is a group of international lawyers that monitor the human rights abuses faced by legal professionals in Colombia.